5 Day Introduction to SQL Programming Course – access and manipulate databases
Introduction to SQL Programming
What is SQL ?
About the course
This 5 day hands on course is ideal for beginners new to databases and SQL programming language. The course will benefit anyone (technical & non-technical) who needs to understand and use SQL to manipulate a database.
The course will provide participants with the key concepts of databases and structured query lanaguage (SQL). Participants will learn how to read and write simple and complex SQL statements. Participants will gain a solid working knowledge of this powerful and universal database programming language. At the end of the course delegates would have gained a solid understanding of relational databases and SQL(Structured Query Langauge).
Come enjoy the motivating atmosphere, learning with your peers while you discover the possibilities of SQL.
Audience: Business Analysts, Developers, IT Administrators, Sales Managers
Recommended Prerequisites: None
Course Schedule: 5 Days, 40 Academic Hours
Introduction to databases and SQL (Sturctured Query Language)
On the first day delegates will learn about the basic structure and history of relational datbases. Delegates will then understand what SQL is and how it used with a relational database.
- Overview of Relational Database Concepts
- What is a relational database management system?
- Databases! Why do we need them?
- Relational Datbase Structures
- Brief overview of typical databases: Microsoft Access and SQL Server
- Introduction to SQL:
- Overview of SQL (Stuructured query lanaguage)
- Database building blocks: Tables, Columns, Primary key, Foreign Keys, Data Types, Indexes
- Building a database
- Creating tables and columns
- Building Tables with CREATE TABLE
- Altering tables with ALTER TABLE
- How to add columns to existing Tables
- How to add a Primary Key
- How to add a Foreign Key
- Adding a Data Type to a Table
- How to improve performance with Indexes
- Selecting Data: The SELECT statement
- Setting Criteria using WHERE Clause
- Inserting into a Table: The INSERT Statement
- Updating a Table: The UPDATE Statement
- Modifying a Table structure with ALTER Statement
- Deleting from a Table: The DELETE Statement
- Removing a tables with DROP statement
- How to add Table Row with INSERT
- How to change rows with UPDATE
- How to remove row with DELETE
- Filtering Data
- Having Clause
- Order by
- Joining Database Tables
- Overview of Table Joins
- Table Aliasas
- Inner Joins
- Outer Joins
- Self Joins
- Other Joins
- Cross Joins
- Full Outer joins
- Aggregation and Grouping
- Summarizing and Grouping Data
Functions, Subqueries and Aggregated Data
- Overview of SQL Functions
- Creating Functions
- Working with Subqueries
- SUM, AVG, MIN, MAX
- Ways to count
- Group By Clause
- Filtering data using the Having Clause
- Overview of Subqueries
- Basic Subqueries
- String Functions
Understanding views & performing analytics with functions
- Date and Time Functions
- Text Functions
- NULL Functions
- Overview of Stored Procedures
- Creating Stored Procedures
- Passing Parameters
- Basic variables
- Creating and Understanding Views
- Understanding Triggers & Cursors
- Creating Unions
Transactions and Concurrency and Programmble Objects
- Introduction to Transactions
- Transaction Control
- Controlling transactions with COMMIT command and ROLLBACK command
- Using BEGIN TRANSACTION in SQL SERVER
- Properties of Transactions
- Locks and Blocking
- Isolation Levels
- Temporary Tables
- Dynamic SQL
- Error Handling
Our international certified trainers are highly experienced SQL practitioners who have real-world expertise.
I – All course material including a copy of Head First SQL book will be provided to all candidates.
II – Laptops will be provided for all candidates with pre-installed Microsoft SQL Server 2012.
III – Our training venue is based in Lekki, Lagos (Specific venue will be emailed on confirmation of place on the course).
For more information on our training, please enquire use the form above or call 07035368449